Difference between being an empath and being a LightWorker
Posted On March 31, 2017
LightWorkers are working diligently to save our planet (and save us from ourselves). Something that comes up all the time in my Empath Support Group are people who take on the pain / sicknesses of others. While this has been mentioned as an empath trait, I believe that it actually delves deeper and is a sign that the person is actually a LightWorker and a healer (as well as an empath, but still, two different things, they just work very well together).
The basic list of the “Traits of an Empath” that has been circulating the internet for a few years now is fairly straightforward, however, you will see crossover with other areas such as Lightworkers, Indigos, HSPs (Highly Sensitive People or Highly Sensitive Persons), Psychics, Mediums and even aspects that are levels of ascension.
Since all these are going on at the same time, it’s understandable but still frustrating since not all traits point to the same thing.
The long and short of being an empath is “feeling the emotions of others as if they were your own”.
The following list is the one that can be found in some form or another everytime you google “Traits of an Empath”
Keep in mind that once an empath has learned control of their gift, these “traits” aren’t there any more. We can (mostly) handle the bad aspects (including health issues) and we just utilize our gift(s) to help others. Therefore, if you are just now looking at the list of empath traits, but are in control of your gift, try to remember what it was like before you learned that control.
- Feeling others emotions as if they were your own
- Overwhelmed in public places
- Watching violence, cruelty or tragedy on the TV is unbearable
- You know when someone is not being honest
- Digestive disorders and lower back problems
- Always looking out for the underdog
- Others will want to offload their problems on you, even strangers
- Constant fatigue
- Addictive personality
- Drawn to healing, holistic therapies and all things metaphysical
- Love of nature and animals
- Need for solitude
- Gets bored or distracted easily if not stimulated
- Finds it impossible to do things they don’t enjoy
- Strives for the truth
- Always looking for the answers and knowledge
- Likes adventure, freedom and travel
- Abhors clutter
- Loves to daydream
- Finds routine, rules or control, imprisoning
- Prone to carry weight without necessarily overeating
- Excellent listener
- Intolerance to narcissism
- The ability to feel the days of the week
- Will not choose to buy antiques, vintage or second-hand
- Sense the energy of food
- Can appear moody, shy, aloof, disconnected
I’m writing this blog because the traits of an empath are different than the listed traits of a LightWorker. As I stated earlier, there are some similarities, but the attempt to categorize an empath as simply a LightWorker is wrong. Not all empaths are LightWorkers and not all LightWorkers are empaths.
But, yes, it is quite possible to be both!
Doreen Virtue has this to say about LightWorkers
“Lightworkers are those who volunteered, before birth, to help the planet and its population heal from the effects of fear. Each lightworker is here for a sacred purpose. Very often, however, life on earth with its material focus creates a form of amnesia in lightworkers. They then forget their divine and perfect identities, and also their abilities to miraculously help the earth and all living creatures. When lightworkers forget their true identity and purpose, they feel lost and afraid.”
The traits of a LightWorker are generally comprised of these aspects
- You are sensitive to energies or possibly even possess the empath gift as well
- You may be a psychic medium
- You feel strongly about environmentalism and the treatment of animals
- You feel an affinity to the healing arts and have explored many healing modalities
- You are very aware of your own fears and the fears of those around you
- You experienced a strong spiritual awakening
- You love being around people but also need your alone time to recharge
- Feel called to heal others.
- Want to resolve the world’s social and environmental problems.
- Believe that spiritual methods can heal any situation.
- Have had mystical experiences, such as psychic premonitions or angelic encounters.
- Have endured harsh life experiences that eroded the knowledge of your Divine perfection.
- Want to heal your own life as a first step in healing the world.
- Feel compelled to write, teach, or counsel about your healing experiences.
- Feel a sense of time urgency to fulfill your mission before you know that you are here for a higher purpose or even if you are unsure what it is or how to fulfill it.
- You are aware of the power of your thoughts and your ability to manifest
Of all the aspects of the Differences Between Series, LightWorker is the most likely shared gift of the empath.